Skip to Main Content

CTOL: College in the High School


College in the High School

College in the High School is a statewide program that allows qualified high school students to earn college credits for classes taught by their high school teachers on the high school campus.

2022 - 2023 College in the High School Registration Form

2022 - 2023 Registration Dates

Fall 2022

  • Tuesday May 23, 2022: Registration opens for all CiHS sections.
  • Friday, September 30, 2022: Deadline to apply for fall semester and yearlong courses.
  • Friday, October 14, 2022: Deadline to meet prerequisite for fall semester and yearlong courses.
  • Friday, October 21, 2022: Deadline to pay or drop fall semester and yearlong courses.

Spring 2023

  • Friday, March 3, 2023: Deadline to apply for second semester courses.
  • Friday, March 17, 2023: Deadline for second semester courses.
  • Friday, March 24, 2023: Deadline to pay or drop second semester courses.


I am a future College in the High School Student. What do I need to do?

You can learn more about College in the High School on the Admissions information page for the program.

How do I register for College in the High School?

High school instructors will give information to students about registering for College in the High School courses

Students will apply separately for each course, using an online form available at

The application includes a release of records for the college to access test scores and/or high school transcript information. SPSCC enrollment services will use those records to confirm placement into any college courses with prerequisites

SPSCC enrollment services will:

  • Ensure that all students who meet the prerequisites for the college level class are enrolled
  • Send a list of enrolled students to high school teachers
  • Notify high school teachers of those students who don’t meet the prerequisites and thus were not enrolled
  • Provide teachers with information about advising resources and placement exams for students who want to meet the prerequisites through placement testing
How do I drop a class?

Drop Requests: The student, high school instructor or high school CiHS coordinator can request a course drop via the CiHS Drop Request form online.

Exception to Drop: Students may request an exception to drop after the Census Day only when the circumstance for the request is due to one of the following:

  • Student is moving and/or withdrawing from the high school
  • Student is suspended from the high school and not allowed access to the high school campus for more than two weeks.
  • Circumstance is due to extended illness, death of an immediate family member, military service, hardship or when there is documented evidence of institutional error.
  • Circumstance is due to a health pandemic or natural disaster forcing closure of the high school for more than two weeks.

If an exception to drop is approved, the student’s enrollment will be dropped, and they will not receive a transcribed grade from SPSCC. The student’s high school transcript will be impacted based on the local high school policies for grades. The student fee payment will be retained, and a refund will not be issued.

How do I order transcripts?

Students will likely need copies of SPSCC transcripts for applications that require proof of college education attainment: most other higher education institutions and some employment opportunities

SPSCC transcripts will reflect the grades students earn in College in the High School Classes Transcripts are permanent. Grades cannot be erased or excluded from future course work at SPSCC or other higher education institutions

Students can request transcripts after they complete at least one College in the High School course and grades have been posted

  • Students can print unofficial transcripts from the student MySPSCC portal. They can also bring a photo ID to the One Stop on the Olympia or Lacey campuses to have them printed
  • Students can order official transcripts online via the National Student Clearinghouse. Note: An SPSCC Student ID number is required
  • Official transcripts are processed within 3 to 5 business days
  • Official transcripts cost $6.00-$8.00, depending on the delivery method
  • Students can have transcripts mailed directly to another institution or to themselves; however, students should leave their transcripts sealed. Once it’s opened, the transcript becomes unofficial

Transcripts for CiHS students look exactly like those for all other SPSCC students.

How do college FERPA rights apply to College in the High School students?

FERPA appears to be based on the physical location of the student, so if the student is taking classes at the high school (even college classes), then high school policies for privacy apply.

Can students simultaneously take Running Start and College in the High School classes?

Yes, but only if they take different classes. For instance, a student could not double-register for CHS English 101 and take English 101 at SPSCC.

Are there SPSCC policies regarding class caps for high school classes with students in the program?

No, the college does not have any control over high school class caps, even for the College in the High School classes. CiHS Courses must have a minimum of 4 qualified students enrolled to run for the term.

How do students get an SPSCC Student ID card?

Students will need to bring ID to Student Life in Building 27 at the SPSCC Mottman Campus or to the One Stop in Building 1 at the SPSCC Lacey Campus to receive an ID card.

Who is eligible to teach College in the High School?

Qualifications in order of preference:

  1. Master’s Degree in discipline
  2. Master’s Degree in Teaching or Education, with 15-18 post-baccalaureate credits in the discipline
  3. Master’s Degree in Teaching or Education, with 3+ years teaching AP, Honors, or IB in the discipline and/or national certification in the discipline

Teachers should familiarize themselves with concurrent enrollment programs and standards, available on the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships website. See the link at the top of the page for the teacher application.

When do teachers submit final grades to the college?

HS teachers will submit grades via the ctcLink, just as SPSCC faculty do. College in the High School teachers with fall-only classes will submit grades at the end of Winter quarter. College in the High School teachers with spring-only or year-long classes will submit final grades at the end of SPSCC’s spring quarter.